Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 1381 times)

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
Downsizing
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Helpful links regarding downsizing as well as discussion about it.  Ill add more as time allows and as I run into good ones.  I definitely have more that I've read:

http://tinyhousetalk.com/downsizing/
https://tinyhousebuild.com/downsizing-without-regrets/

Helpful videos:

The Story of "Stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:04:14 PM by MeBeAdmin »
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
I'm almost done!  Just a few more days of organizing and packing then it's off to storage to put away the last of my things in the house that aren't going with me.

I didn't think it would take this long but this time I put more thought into need over want.  This required a lot of repacking which also took a lot of time.  For someone with attention deficit it can very much become a test of wills.  But, it's almost done.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
Storage ? That's what my house has become for myself and my Daughter. Yard Sale is next after I retire. Then what ever is left over, Goodwill.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
I was at Goodwill yesterday while getting a new windshield on the van but was buying.  I needed a lid for my cast iron skillet.  Found a glass one.  I'll be making another trip or two to donate but I have plenty of time now.  I don't have the funds to leave and something is wrong with my van so I'll have to wait until next month.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »
Goodwill is also a good place to shop. A coworker buys $40 fishing shirts there for $5. Granted that is over in Clear Water, not Tampa.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
How's your downsizing been going?  I found more stuff to donate and once I move into my van I'm sure I'll have more to donate.  I've been under a bad bout of depression but did manage to organize the kitchen better.  I started to unpack what little I had put into totes since I need a lot of it for cooking.  I'll get this figured out!

Offline tired old man

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
To be honest I'm still being lazy for now. Relaxing and fishing comes first.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
I don't blame you!  I'd prefer to go fishing as well.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
I was at Goodwill yesterday while getting a new windshield on the van but was buying.  I needed a lid for my cast iron skillet.  Found a glass one.  I'll be making another trip or two to donate but I have plenty of time now.  I don't have the funds to leave and something is wrong with my van so I'll have to wait until next month.

A little over two months now. Did you fix the van?  On The Road Again or Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay ? There is great you tube video, Sitting At The Dock All day. It's a driver thing....
DD you would love my Daughter. And then till her she is crazy. Maybe.. Somewhere in the future she wants to spend at least a year sleeping in her VW van. Camping and driving.
What Ever Happened To See The USA In A Chev........ I know, it's a VW thing.

I hope this song isn't for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kwFSp7yh4

I'll look up On The Road Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kwFSp7yh4

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »
Not yet but I did qualify for a reduced labor rate at a mechanics charity.  I move into the van Sunday whether I like it or not.  I wasn't ready for this but the owners son is one of those kinds of people that enough money will never be enough.

The inspection on the van is scheduled for Tuesday and the first thing to fix is the brakes.  Stay tuned.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »
I've sold a couple of things before on Craigslist years ago. I thought I would try again today.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/115019694480347362121/6386330800867690498?icm=false

I let you know how it goes.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
So much for Craigslist.  Nothing happening there.

We need updates !

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
Bummer on CL not working out for you!

Updating has been difficult lately.  There are certain times I can be in the building so I can use a table but last week the building was closed a lot during the day.  This week not so much, yay!

I've downsized in the van several times now.  Things I thought I would need I didn't, things I didn't think I needed I did and I've also rearranged the "furniture" a few times as well.  It's definitely a very personal process.