Author Topic: Against a Cashless World  (Read 557 times)

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
Against a Cashless World
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
This is becoming a reality and some countries are closer to it than others.  In the U.S. I've been fighting against this as much as possible and my hope is that I'm gone before we become completely cashless.

I didn't mind my payroll and disability payments being direct deposited because it saved me a trip to the bank and I knew my money was there.  However, it's just one step in an already evolving chain of events.  It was about 5 years ago that I learned my credit score was being used to determine how much I pay in car insurance.  Here I was thinking I was being responsible by paying cash for everything!  I'm a firm believe in that if I can't pay cash for something(or have enough to get that bank check) then I can't afford it.  It boggles my mind that how you handle DEBT is how you are rated more than how much in cash and valuables you may have.  Don't get me wrong, I understand why that should be a component but I don't feel I should be penalized for lack of credit rather than poor credit.  I just don't like the idea at all that I have to carry debt to be considered "good".

Anyway, here's a list of countries that are going cashless and chucking their fiat currency to the curb, and some of them may surprise you:

Countries that Are Going Cashless

http://www.investopedia.com/slide-show/countries-are-going-cashless/?article=1

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:49:54 AM by MeBeAdmin »
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
Re: Against a Cashless World
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »
I definitely don't want to be living when what you describe happens.  It's not even a matter of "if", it's going to happen.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline Traveler

• Time Out
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:21:53 AM »
I have been in situations where I have to pay my rent by cheque only, debit card and cash not accepted. That's here in Canada. Other services and hotels will only supply if you have a credit card. Which kind of sucks because I do not want a credit card. The interest is too high, 28%

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
My statement was in regard to the complete loss of cash transactions and full control of all financial activity, not the process leading to it.

Offline Traveler

• Time Out
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 03:45:56 AM »
The Mark of the Beast can only happen if this happens,
We just happen to be the generation that will be living when it all goes down.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
I can certainly vouch for there being a lot of "beasts" making this happen here.  How's things up north?  Is that hottie PM of yours making any kind of gestures in this direction?

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
My favorite part of that article albeit damned frightening:

It is by no means certain that such a dystopian outcome will occur in a cashless society. It could be that certain countries such as Sweden can make the leap without any adverse consequences. But my fear is that some governments will find it irresistible to take much greater control of the everyday behaviors of their citizens simply because they can.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
Yep, and while all that is going on we have a nation of blind "patriots" that just elected a bigoted authoritarian as our nations leader.  All his angry ranting on how Russia and Putin was so innocent and yet he was so stupid in believing that our "intelligence" groups were lying.  Doesn't anyone question how they got that information?  It must have been quite powerful since it was enough to change his mind and almost shut his yap about it.

I almost believe we'll move to cashless faster now than ever before with all the billionaires and bankers he's nominated and appointed.  Human nature, you pick teams from your own.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
I can't and won't claim being completely knowledgeable as to the full scope of this.  I'm not even sure I can imagine it.  What I can do it make the attempt to avoid it as much as possible.

The property I'm buying is owner financed and I'm putting down cash on it.  My payments will be via cash or money order.
I'm building my house as I collect materials rather than have a loan.  If everything goes as I'm projecting everything will be paid off in 5-8 years.
I'm going to build my house and design my property to be as self sustaining as possible.
I'm going to grow my own food, make my own beauty products and cleaning supplies as well as pet food so I can limit as much as possible the tracking of my purchases.

It's not perfect nor completely avoidable.  All I can do is continue to educate myself and avoid it as long as possible.  I don't have the money to buy an island and become an independent country.

Thankfully that "visible hand" isn't least expected to everyone.  Some of us completely expect it but those who bask in it's convenience(as much as those feeding the Monsanto food supply takeover) that are bringing it all down upon us.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
I don't want to agree with you but I have to because it's unfortunately the new "common sense" now and as usual, most don't have it.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:01 PM »
You know what's odd about you bringing up eventually leaving the interwebs...way back when shortly after 9/11 and before the Patriot Act was made public 2 people I knew personally(but we lived far apart) freaked out about the government spying on us and quit the internet.  I thought they had gone bonkers in fear.  I knew they had both been military but still don't know how they "knew" what was happening and we've since lost touch.  I completely respect their decisions now.

What sucks is my chosen new career path is web development.  I decided on it because I didn't have to be a math genius and it's portable.  Part of the reason I chose the areas I'm looking for property in are because they are wired for fiber optic.

It really gives me a helpless feeling to know that eventually my money and movements will be completely monitored.  The Matrix in real life.  I once thought Sweden was "okay" because it was honest about it's monitoring.  I was very naive.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:44:02 PM by MeBeAdmin »

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »
Must be why that all we can seem to get into leadership are corporate prostitutes while the ones who at least appear to be honest and for "the people" get screwed out of the running.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »
Your post is frightening and all too real.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
I'm a little late in seeing this thread. I did read most replays. This thread is more about economy's going cashless. I don't think it can be stopped. The tax man wants his cut. And we know what happens when if we don't pay. But there will always be a black market.

Credit score.
I have one credit card. I don't like credit cards. It is way to easy to get into trouble with them. But that's where we have to be an adult. I paid cash for my truck. I would have charged it ( not financed ) if I could have. Talk about upping my credit score. If I charge something I pay it off as soon as it is posted. Anyone can improve their score. It take time and work. You can even save money using a credit card. But I still don't like using it.
So what is a credit score? It should be your ability to pay back a loan. But it being used for almost everything. You have money in the bank but a bad credit score? You can still get a loan. But you will pay a higher interest rate. Want to rent a apartment with money in the bank but a bad credit score? I wish you luck. It use to be your income minus your cost of living. Then if you could afford the rent, you got it.

I don't like the idea of Google, I meant to say the government knowing what I buy. It is none of their business. If I have nothing to hide way worry ? Because the government will (could )use the info to tax you based on everything you buy. I already pay a big tax on drinking,smoking. Hey it's my life ! Is it ? What about health care cost ? What if I'm over weight? A new tax based on Non Of Your Business what I buy ........

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:29:23 PM by tired old man »

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
That's another reason why I like paying cash for everything.  Don't forget those grocery store cards for "members".