Author Topic: Family.........  (Read 404 times)

Offline forumjunky

Family.........
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:52:25 AM »
I started my search back in the mid 90s, via the free sites that existed before Ancestry.com bought up all the data that was common info. I ended up in old church records in both Scotland, England and France, it was a labor of love so to speak, with several hundred hours involved.

Using my mothers maiden name, I worked thru several months and a lot of setbacks ( dead ends) with jumping from at least 5 sites to continue back with some 40+ generations, continued cross checking and double checking to certify the authenticity of the research.

I was amazed at the info I found in England between 1500 and 1750, it seems my family were heavy into shipping, even slaves from Africa to both England and the colonies, I managed to attain  the ships logs for over 100 hundred years ( copies) which made for interesting reading. The Scottish line ( Murray)  has so many diversions and clans, it took a month to sort out the original Clan via children's marriage and death records.

Towards the the end of my search, where the records become too difficult to go on, you have to stop due to the ability to verify, this is important if one wants a true record, a lot of people cheat by hopping over a missed link, sometimes several, just to continue, not a good idea if you ever want to make public your work.

The final verified name was Arid Stephon ( which eventually became Stevens) in the year 1046, a Knight who's family was with Charlemagne in 778 and the invasion of the Iberian peninsula, sadly the records were just too complicated to certify past the 10th century.

All this ( the hours involved) form a picture of who we are, the notes hand written about births and deaths, the deeds and papers that create a window of a period 500 years ago, its all worth the effort, even with today's  information being paid for.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
Re: Family.........
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
I started my searching about the same time before Ancestry gobbled everything up as well.  I take that as both bad and good; bad because now if you want something you have to pay for it rather than ask a volunteer in a state to look for you which was usually free, but good because of the amount of cross referencing you can do online.  I certainly miss RootsWeb and genealogy.com though.  Rootsweb had a great volunteer community.

Unfortunately once I get outside of Utah there's a lot of smaller towns with records they can't afford to upload and share online.  I'll be making a point to stop in to those and share what kinds of records they have so that searchers online can check them out later.

Cross referencing is a MUST.  I've run into far too many people who are simply satisfied with being able to claim something cool in their genealogy without doing the extra work to make sure it's factual.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
When I walk into the office where I work I see a painting/photo of people who were part of the Declaration of Independence. William Smallwood was part of it. But he never had any children. His Brother did.  And that is part of my Family Tree according to my sister. My only question is where is the money ?????

MeBeAdmin I would be way to lazy to look all this up.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:00:42 PM »
MeBeAdmin I would be way to lazy to look all this up.

Yes, yes it does take TONS of work!  It is not for the faint of heart.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch