Author Topic: Weekends  (Read 47993 times)

Offline tired old man

Re: Weekends
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »
So much for going to bed early. Here it is 11:20 pm and I'm still playing around. Now to be fair I did finish some cleaning I have been putting off. I get two points for that.
I got a new toy last week and have been playing with it. A Baofeng 2 meter/70 meter hand held ham radio for use in emergency. I had two FRS radios but they suck. So I bought another one for my daughter. Sometime this week I should be able to test them for range. I can use my radio on my boat (marine Channels) as long as I am on the water but not on land. I programed in FRS GMRS PRS and MURS along with all the Marine channels. Plus A few other channels. While I have no plan on getting a license for ham radio, you don't need one in a emergence. So now I have to see how far it works with the stock antenna.
Like I needed a new toy.........

Offline tired old man

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »
Antenna Antenna antenna........

This ham radio thing is interesting. I'll post more later.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
Have you looked at the test yet?  I will when I get set up on my property someday.  Right now I'm just trying to make some actual time to make youtube videos.

Hmm, I'll have to make sure a HAM tower will be allowed in the subdivision.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
As of now to the best of my knowledge,no subdivision can stop you. Ham radio is part of emergence response. But that could change in the future. I only made it about 1/2 of a mile on the two radios. I added a roll up antenna on my radio and was able to hear my Daughter a mile away. But she couldn't hear me. So I ordered a roll up antenna for her. The roll up antenna will also be used for camping or hiking. Use some rope and throw it over a tree branch.I can also hear a Ham radio about 30 miles away. I'm sure that is coming off of a repeater.
With the right antenna even a small 4 watt hand held can get some good range. Should the phones go out I hope to be able to stay in touch with family.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
If you would like to study for a ham license this is a good web site.

https://hamstudy.org/

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »
The amatuer radio fans of the family went through the ARRL

http://www.arrl.org/home

There's nothing in the property owners association rules blocking it but if I get that far I'll certainly find out.  Right now I'm just trying to find another van.  It seems like I have to be sleeping with one to buy one.  It's as if a few hours after they are posted up they are gone.  I've missed out on close to 20 vans now.  I'm really frustrated and I have to admit to being scared too.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
I'm sure you will find a van. From what I read prices should be going down. But I'm not so sure about that.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »
I did find one!  I'll post up a thread later but right now it's scramble time!  I can almost feel the NM sunshine!

Offline tired old man

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
I did find one!  I'll post up a thread later but right now it's scramble time!  I can almost feel the NM sunshine!

HAPPY DANCE

Offline tired old man

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2017, 12:35:46 PM »
Looks like I'll take the Ham Radio test at the end of this month. I am more than certain I'll pass.
Now as to my cheap Baofeng hand held radio. It works. It works even better with a antenna placed up high. Both people have to have an antenna placed up high. Using the roll up antenna I need it just above the roof of my house. Easy to do. My Daughter is four stories up so she has no problem using the roll up antenna.
Do I stay simple or move up to a better radio ? I'm still debating it. And the cost. A mobile duel band radio is about $250. I can also use a mobile as a base station. Power output is important. My hand held is only 4 watts. A mobile would be around 50 to 75 watts. But the most important part is the antenna.
Once I have my license I'll be able to use repeaters that will give me a greater range. But what if the repeaters go out ? I still want at least a 10 to 20 mile range. With the right antenna I can use the hand held. With the right antenna and more power....longer range.
From past history the odds of me needing a ham radio is slim. But it is till fun to look at.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
I have a painters pole that can extend to 24 feet. I cemented a pipe into the ground near my back door. It seems to work good. A very fast way to put up an antenna. And take it down during lightning storms.
Looking forward to getting my Ham license to test it.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Nice on that antenna!  Don't forget, your 10-20 miles range can become hundreds and even thousands when there is some good skip going on.  Find your local HAM club.  They can clue you in on where they most likely get skip from.  I remember my step dad talking with someone from a Pacific island, I think it was Guam.  Been too long now.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
I listen to a local ham club on a repeater about five mile from me. The repeater is good for about 50 miles on vhf. I'll have to wait until I have my license to test my range using my 4 watt hand held. I don't see myself joining any club. But I'll be asking questions once I can get on the air.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »
I took the ham radio license today and passed it. I know of four questions I had to guess at. But all they tell you is if you passed or failed. Not how many questions you got right or wrong. I would have liked to know how I did.
Now I have to wait from a few days to a couple of weeks. Once my call numbers are posted on the FCC website,I'll be legal to talk.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Two weeks to the day. I finally have a FCC cal sign. Some people might get this, I'm poison.  KN4DDT. Now I get to test the range.