Author Topic: Computer tips  (Read 24711 times)

Offline tired old man

Computer tips
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
After restoring my computer back to windows 8 then undated to 8.1 I still needed to reset a few things. I wanted any window I opened to be a full screen. I got half way there. Left clicking on a link would open it to only half size for my screen. Granted I could click on the square and open it to a full screen. That is not what I wanted. I could not find anything in my settings to change this. After looking on line I found a simple answer. After left clicking on a link and it opens to half a screen. Take the mouse pointer and place it on the right corner of the opened window. Left click on it and drag it to the right side. After that any link you left clink on will open to a full screen.

Offline tired old man

Re: Computer tips
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Update. When I did this on my news feed it worked. Every link I open after doing it opened full page. Until I came in here. The screen went back to the half page. Once again I moved the mouse pointer to the right side of the page and moved it to the full screen. And now it works in here.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »

Sticky keys on a key board.

I bought a cheap keyboard on eBay. Hey it is a lighted keyboard. $15 bucks. But from the start the i key and the 0 key would stick down. I put up with it for a very long time. But now I have the time to correct it. I tried the can air to clean it. No luck. Then the alcohol. Still no luck.I tried both after popping the i key off. You know cleaning under it. Still no luck.So I took a file to the i key. I filed down any and all of the plastic edges. It took a bit of work but then it worked. It no longer stuck. So I moved on to the o key. It made it stick even more ! I was at a lost after I put the key back on. No matter what it did it was even worst. Somehow I moved the key up just a little. Okay I use the tip of the file to move the key. I think I got lucky.
So if you have a key that sticks. I wish you luck. Try using can air to clean it. Pop the key out and use the can air. Then use a Q Tip with alcohol to clean under it. Using a file to trim the plastic key ? It worked one one key but not the other key. I got lucky....

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
This is my keyboard and worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Washable-Keyboard-K310-Windows/dp/B008D1JRIO/

I've washed it and it's wonderful.  Get one then spill your coffee on it.  You won't be disappointed.  It even has a little brush on the bottom for sweeping between the keys.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
This is my keyboard and worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Washable-Keyboard-K310-Windows/dp/B008D1JRIO/

I've washed it and it's wonderful.  Get one then spill your coffee on it.  You won't be disappointed.  It even has a little brush on the bottom for sweeping between the keys.

That is a very nice keyboard.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
I'm too abusive on my equipment.  Buying cheap costs too much for me so I have to spend a little if I want it to last awhile.  My trackball is still working after almost 13 years and they still make them but the price has dropped from $125 to $75.  I'm about to buy another so I have a spare on hand.  The little nubs on the scroll wheel have been breaking off the last few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Expert-Trackball-Mouse-K64325/dp/B00009KH63
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch