Author Topic: Weekends  (Read 50229 times)

Offline tired old man

Weekends
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »

Weekends
Or my life as I travel.
I'm getting ready to retire. The nice part is while I'm still working I can say NO. What can they do, fire me ? Please give me a reason to retire now. I will start the New Year as a free man. If only I could win the Lotto before then.....

Having money is nice and a big part of life. Finding freedom is better. I have the chance to walk away and enjoy what time I might have left. I've watched other people work until they died. I hope I live for 50 more years. But I know it won't happen.
Reality sucks. At best I have maybe 10 years. To be honest, 5 years if I'm lucky. Family history.

I bought a small John Boat today. Fishing will be a big part of my new year. If I'm lucky I might catch a big fish.....lol. Or I just might find I don't need the big fish. A very old movie. The Old Man And The Sea. Watch it if you can.

Finding Freedom..........

Offline forumjunky

Re: Weekends
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »
Yeah the odds. I took my pension some 3 years back, but still climb into my excavator each morning and move some earth. I figure as long as I enjoy what I do its cool. I take it day by day, and don't contemplate the time I may have left, my wife is convinced I'm still 12 with the toys I fool around with, and the mischief I can get into. 

Maybe its a good thing? I don't know, but I find the reflection of life brings one to a continued view of both the good and bad that has been this thing we call time. I guess owning up to the failures as well as the successes is a plus at my age.   

Offline Traveler

• Time Out
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
I look  at what the world was like when I was young and I look at it now. I have to question if there is even going to be a real pension left in a few years anyway. :-[

Offline tired old man

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Fourmjunky you hit the nail on the head. I no longer enjoy driving a big truck. I still enjoy driving just not a big truck. My fist six months of retirement will be getting my house in order. And fishing. Not starting out to good on the boating part. I was putting some wheel grease on the used boat I just bought. The grease fitting came off. *(%*$*&^*O&^.... My nephew came over with a new buddy bearing and a hammer. Bam!  He knock the old bearing out and I almost had a heart attack. But we got that part working. I was able to start the motor but then I think I flooded it. I'll get that part right long before I'm in the water.

Traveler we all worry about that. I don't have a pension. Just Social Security. A pension would scare me even more. But I have to make a change in my life. I might have to find some part time work later on. It should be an interesting journey.

Offline forumjunky

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:44:15 PM »
Yeah the will is still there, but the body says no...lol  where I used to jump down from the cab, is now replaced with crawling down. I'm the old man in a sea of youngsters in their early 20s, but still have the knowledge base and ability to run circles around most of them.  Its cool in as much that they want to learn, and I guess thats sorta what keeps me going.

My pension (Swedish) is, well, something that would be tough to get by on, around 1200 bucks a month, but my social security pension from the States kicks in next year when I turn 66, it adds another 1300 to the pot, then I can bail if the urge moves me.   Right now its getting old debts paid off, and possibly a move to Portugal and a warm climate...lol   I hate snow.   

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I hated snow when I had to work in it.  Now that I don't have to I love it again and I mean REALLY love it!  We may get 1-4" tomorrow.

Good luck with the fishing ToM!  That's one thing I've never hated and is why I don't claim being a full time vegetarian.  I still eat fish on occasion.
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
Good news and so so news. I still can't get the boat motor to start. It could be me doing something wrong. But I doubt it. My nephew should have a look at it this weekend. Just in case I picked up a new set of plugs and a carburetor.

The Good news, I've been approved for my social security.  Down the road I'll look into a part time job. I was thinking of a job with some meaning to it. Three day a week would be nice. I'll start looking around June next year.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
My nephew just stopped over to have a look at the motor. I knew it wasn't me...lol. He couldn't get the motor to start. But after a short spray of starting fluid we know the spark plugs are good. It tried to start. So that tells me the carburetor is clogged up. Now all I need is to find the time to put the new carburetor on. I'll get there.   

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »
In a few weeks you'll have plenty of time!   ;D
"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts” B Baruch

Offline tired old man

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
I hate to say it but it looks like I got suckered. In other words I was sold a bad motor. The new carburetor was easy to put on. No help. So I changed to plugs. No good. The threads on the head came out with the old plugs. It would seem someone put in wrong plugs. I spoke to my mechanic at work. Odds are the rings or values are bad. I still need to do a compression test on it. So how did the seller make the motor run so good ? A old trick. You add oil through the carburetor. WD 40 would work. That would temporally give you the compression needed. I'll take the motor apart after the new year. It might be worth fixing. Cough cough......

I also learned something else on this  adventure. A 2 1/2 HP Mercury motor at most box stores sells for $1475. I bought the same motor today from a small independent shop for $729. Okay there is a small difference. The $1475 was a 2016. The $729 is a 2015 but brand new with a two year warranty. I AM GOING FISHING !!

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »
WOOHOO!  Like they always say; a bad day fishing is better than a good day working.  That never made sense to me but you know those guys that spin yarns and tell fish tales.

Now you can look for your own Catfish Hunter!

Offline tired old man

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
Please !!!! No catfish.
I've always been told salt water catfish are no good to eat. Years ago I went fishing with a coworker.  Th first fish I caught was a big sail cat. When I kick it back into the water my coworker screamed at me. What are you doing ? I explained no one eats salt water catfish. Bull shit ! I have eight kids to feed. We eat them ! To be honest the catfish tasted good. But he said they were a pain to clean.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
It is not easy for me to get out of bed on my one day off. Unless I have something I want or need to do. I had things I needed to today. Most of that changed with a phone call. My Daughters Grandmother passed away today.....

Life happens.

Offline MeBeAdmin

• Administrator
    • Me Be Like Me Are
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 08:29:54 AM »
I hope she's handling things okay.  It sucks to lose a loved one.

As far as salty cats...well I have to agree with your co-worker for the most part because it depends on what cat you are eating.  This may help:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?34688-EATING-SALTWATER-CATFISH

Even carp is edible.

Offline tired old man

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
It is kind of strange saying I have three days off from work. When I know next week will be my last week at work. I slept all day Saturday. OK half a day. Lazy the rest of the day. I made it out today with my Jon Boat. It was easy to launch it. It started on choke and then I flooded it. Grrrrrr. Motors are a lot like a women. You only get one chance. Did I say that out loud ?

If anything I learned I can launch and put my Jon Boat back on my trailer by myself. I also found a small leak. An easy fix. I'll be back out tomorrow. But first I'll make sure I understand how the motor works. A two stroke motor is so much easier than a four stroke motor.......

I also learned when you use body parts that you normally don"t use, ouch!