Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
DIY It! / Re: Rats! Mice! Bugs!!!
« Last post by tired old man on March 03, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
Day six with no signs of any rats. That's a start. Plus nothing has tripped the motion detecting on the camera. Now the weather has cooled again from last night. Tonight should be a low of 50f.
Food,water and shelter. I moved the cat food and water to a different room. I closed the openings I think they were using. But only time will tell if I stopped them from entering my house.
My Mobile Blog / Re: Downsizing
« Last post by tired old man on March 01, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
So much for Craigslist.  Nothing happening there.

We need updates !
DIY It! / Re: Alternative Heat Sources
« Last post by tired old man on March 01, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
While cleaning up I found a propane heater I no longer used. You know the type. Uses a small propane tank. Which I also had in my house. I really need to remove flammables  from my house. It was a kind of cold. So I set it up. Worked great on the first tank of propane gas. Put a new tank on and about a hour later I smelled something funny. It was the plastic burning. Somewhere was a gas leak.
I turned the control knob for the gas to off. But the plastic was still burning. A small flame that I couldn't blow out. I remove the propane tank. Lucky me it wasn't the tank that was leaking. That could have lead to a big flash fire.

Wood stove = no gas leaks.
« Last post by tired old man on March 01, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
I was right. Using the dash cam with motion detecting is way too slow. It takes about a second (?) before it starts to record. A rat would be gone out of sight before it starts to record. But once the rat was no longer scared, it might work.
Why not just record everything ? Because you would have to review hours of recordings. Using the motion setting at least you would know something tripped it even if "it" wasn't on film (?). Hey at least I'm getting to experiment fighting rats.

« Last post by tired old man on February 28, 2017, 04:43:03 PM »
I just remembered. I have a dash cam and the part where it sticks to the window no longer works.  While I have no way to mount it I just set it on the floor. I already have a 12 volt  marine battery charging in the back room so I hooked the camera up to it. A rat might not always set off a trap. Will it set off the motion detector on the camera ? I'll find out.
General Discussion / Re: Weekends
« Last post by tired old man on February 27, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
I guess I should change the name of this thread from weekends to Retirement.
So far the hardest part of retirement for me is getting to sleep. The nice part is if I can't get to sleep I can sleep in. Which makes it harder to get to sleep at a decent hour. So I'm trying to get up around 8am. LMAO not a lot of luck with that so far. So I'm trying to stay busy cleaning my house.
Holy Crap I have a lot of work to do. Finishing one thing at a time would be a good way to do it. In a way that is what I do. I got my boat and motor ready. For day time fishing. I'm not so sure I want to be out in the dark in a boat fishing.

House repair's. I don't have a lot of repairs to do. But I do have a lot of "improvements" to do. Getting rid of stuff I no longer need. And finding a place for what I keep. Tools. I have enough if I can find what I want when I need it. I had a door sticking. I went looking for my really cheap ($4 ) hand planer. Couldn't find it. Then I went looking for my electric planer. I ended up buying a $20 hand planer. Door works great now.
The nice part is I have the time to do these things. I think it took me two years when I had to rebuild my bathroom. I was working 10 to 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Gut it all out. New 2x4's in the walls. New walls and a shower pan. New floor. Which also meant some new plumbing. Not a damn thing is square but it works ! I had to take a shower in a very large cement tub hooked up to my kitchen sink with a garden hose. That was a lot of fun in the winter. But for the last 10 years ( ? ) I have a working bathroom.
I'll adjust to the sleep thing sooner or later. But for now I have the time to do things I need and want to do. I like retirement.
« Last post by tired old man on February 27, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
I was waiting to click and see the rat in the trap.  lol

I hope you have gotten it figured out!

I wouldn't post a picture of a dead rat. But I should have taken a picture of it. I'm 99% sure it is a tree rat aka fruit rat. On a good note no rats last night. I hope I can keep saying that. I did finally get off my ass and put the heavy wire mesh up in the attic at the back of the house. I even remembered to bring the wire cutters with me this time. So much fun to cut and staple in place.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/115019694480347362121/6391905797345471714?icm=false

If the rats go away I'm done for now.
Dung Heap / Re: electric bike carbon frame
« Last post by tired old man on February 27, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
Nice E bike. I like looking any thing with a battery as having a double use. If I read it correctly the battery is 72vdc 25 ah. That's 1800 watt hours. While you can drain lithium batteries all the way I wound stop at 80 % That still gives you 1440 watt hours. You would need a 72vdc to AC inverter.  And a way to connect it to the battery.
Could be a nice emergency back up system.
News and World Events / For Traveler...
« Last post by MeBeAdmin on February 27, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
I think this should be self explanatory:

but just in case it isn't don't forget that Columbus, Hitler, the Israelites at the battle of Jericho, the Crusades which lasted for almost TWO CENTURIES and more recently all those fine folks in the KKK and General Laurent Nkunda all claimed Christianity in some form, and all but Hitler justified murder in the name of god and their religion.

Then there is this:

“taking the life of a single innocent [person] is a crime against all humanity (Quran 5:32).”

Dung Heap / Re: electric bike carbon frame
« Last post by MeBeAdmin on February 27, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
The U.S. is always behind the times when it comes to transportation technology.  Take the rail for instance...

How long before you are chomping at the bit?  lol
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]